Create custom tile patterns that will be saved to your Quick Tile library.
Note: Custom Tile Patterns are only available in the Designer and Premier editions of Measure.
This is an advanced feature that allows you to create custom patterns using both rectangular and non-rectangular tiles. Once a pattern is completed, it is added to your Quick Tile library for future use. This feature can be accessed from either the Room tab or through the Quick Tile window.
To see how it works, suppose you are attempting to create the following pattern:
First you would determine which tiles are necessary to create a single, repeatable instance of the pattern. In this case it is the two shown in the screenshot below:
Note that the square does not have to be below the octagon. It could be placed on either side or above it. The key is that it allows the shapes to interlock, resulting in a repeatable pattern:
To Draw a Design
- Click on one of the four shape buttons at the bottom of the screen to add it. You may resize the shape by dragging its edges or corners.
- Click on an edge handle of the added shape.
- Click again on a shape button to attach that shape to the selected edge. The attached shape will be sized to correspond to the length of the selected edge, but you may resize it.
- Repeat this process, adding shapes, until the design is complete.
Note: While dragging corner edges, angle values will display. These will snap to multiples of 15 degrees. Press and hold the Ctrl key to snap in multiples of 2.5 degrees.
To Rotate a Design
- Click on shape.
- Click on one of the edge handles.
- Press the rotate button.
- Press the rotate button again in order to rotate the design 90 degrees clockwise.
Create a Rectangle
- Add a square by pressing the square button.
- Select an edge handle and drag it so that the square becomes a rectangle with the desired ratio dimensions. (Drag an edge running in the other direction to set the opposite direction.
Create a Parallelogram
- Add a square by pressing on the square button.
- Select an edge handle and drag it so that the square becomes a rectangle having the height of the parallelogram.
- Drag another edge so that the parallelogram has the overall width that you want the parallelogram to have.
- Drag a corner to give a slant to one of the vertical edges.
- Drag the opposite corner to give the same slant to the other vertical edge.
||Create a Rhombus
- If you want to specify a rhombus by its side length and angles, you can essentially use the same method indicated above for parallelograms. However, if you want to specify overall dimensions, or diagonal lengths, go to step 2.
- After adding a square using the square button , press the rhombus button at the bottom of the screen. This will open the Rhombus Properties dialog.
- Enter the dimensions that you want the Rhombus to have.
||Delete a Shape
- Click on the shape.
- Press the Delete key.
||Complete the Design
- After entering a design which can be repeated, press the Next button.
- To adjust any of the measurements shown in the design, click on the measurement, and enter the adjusted value in the field that appears to the left. Since you are specifying relative lengths at this stage, the unit of measure is irrelevant.
- If you want to assign a distinct value to all the measurements when you actually apply the tile pattern from QuickTiles, check the checkbox at the bottom of the form, as shown below. Otherwise, you will only be able to assign one measurement in the QuickTiles dialog, and all other measurements will be scaled proportionately.