The Select tool is used to select any object in the drawing. It is used primarily for moving and resizing rooms. Also, if you are using another tool (for example, drawing a rectangular room) and want to abandon what you have done, you can click the Select button to cancel whatever you were doing.
The Select button is located in the Selection group under the Home tab of the Ribbon bar. Clicking on the top part of the Select button will allow you to used the Select arrow to select objects on your floor plan. Clicking on the down arrow at the bottom of the Select button will give you a menu of Select options. Select is equivalent to clicking on the upper half of the Select button, Select All will select every room and object on your floorplan, while Select None will deselect any selected objects.
Once selected, the corners of a room have diamond shaped handles. All edges of the room become selected with square shaped handles in the center of each wall. Handles are used for resizing rooms.
- Make sure the Home tab is selected on the Ribbon bar.
- Click on the upper half of the Select button in the Selection group under the Home tab and click on a room.
- Alternatively, click on a room name listed in the Explorer pane to select a room.
Tips and Additional Information:
- If you begin drawing a room (or some other multi-step process), you may click the Select button to cancel the operation.
- Effort has been made to leave any selection of a room in the selected state until the user clicks on an open white space of the drawing screen or presses the ALT+N keys. This is so the user can decide when a room should or should not be in Select Mode.
- The Select arrow has different functions in Draw mode versus Layout mode. (Please refer to the corresponding help articles Draw Mode and Layout Mode to learn more.)
- You can also right-click to select a room, point, or handle. This helps to avoid any slight movements when using the left mouse button for selecting these which could alter the dimensions of a room unintentionally.
- Multiple objects can be selected at once by using Shift+Right-Click on each object or on the list in the Explorer pane.
- Once selected, multiple objects can be moved at once by using Left-Click and dragging the selection.